As you know, this past weekend was our first Sunday morning service. Quick shout out to Kourtney and Janet for really making things a success with Kids Community! They are two of the best moms I know, and they have been eyes to see all the things I would have missed. THANKS!I was teaching the preschoolers a recap lesson on Easter and was having a difficult time maintaining the class's attention. In looking around, my eyes were opened to a strange homogeneity in the class that I had up until this point missed: except for Preslee (2 year old girl) we had a class full of boys! Ten preschool-aged boys to be exact!
I would have just shrugged it off as a remarkable but random occurrence, except that this is not the first time I have been put in this situation these past couple of years. You see, I now live with a family who has three little boys. In Waco, I lived with a family who has three boys (and one little princess :) ). I led a lifegroup in Waco that had, in two separate seasons, almost all male members.
A few months ago, I sat down and asked God about this. Sometimes I think He puts these things (patterns, repeating situations) in front of us to get our attention. I thought, "what could He be up to with all these boys?"
Did you know that two-thirds of the missionary labor force in the world is comprised of women? In almost every Christian group or event I was involved in while in college was dominated by women. I started asking God what do to about this. Surely this is not His intention! (1 Corinthians 11:3). I began to pray for men to rise up, empowered to lead this church!
It seems to me that God took seriously my questions to Him, but then went one step further. Ever heard Matthew 7:7? "Ask and it will be given to you...". I never thought that I would get to be a part of seeing my little prayer fulfilled. I mean, and me of all people! I grew up with two sisters (and NO brothers), and was terrified of boys until high school. Increasingly in my life, God has given me opportunities to speak into the lives of the men (and little Kids Community men). What if this next generation of men grew up empowered to make decisions and to take the lead? What if we incorporated more activities in our lessons boys would enjoy (I mean, have you noticed that it is a LITTLE bit difficult to get little boys to sit still all the time :) )? What if we spoke into the lives of the future men around us? I think we could make a difference in the future leaders of our world starting now...
1 comment:
Rachel!! I agree. It has bothered me too that so many more women go into the field than men. Im so excited about your class, I wish i could sneak up every week. :) Before your eyes, God is answering! And they're all so CUTE! :D
You bless me, friend, so much. The weekend was a highlight for me... thank you for inviting me.
You'll see me again soon :)
Charis
Post a Comment