Everybody knows I love animals... maybe a little bit more than the average person. Ok, a lot more. I think it has gotten to the point where I think animals can sense that about me. Sure I have taken in a stray dog or two (ok 4), but anyone would do the same, right?Since moving back to Norman, it seems the animal kingdom spread the word. When we moved into our house, we discovered an abandoned birds nest in the back yard. My dad swept it down only to find it fully inhabited with 5 baby birds! After a dramatic rescue by my mom, two of the little guys survived. We built them a nest out of an old basket until they were ready to fly. Here they are pictured standing at the edge of their makeshift nest. We watched with eager anticipation as they grew stronger every day. I was living the dream: rescuing a poor little animal and releasing it back into the wild! Much to our delight, about a week later, they took off... but then quickly came right back to set up permanent residence. Little baby birds are cute, but nobody wants a full grown bird family living right outside their back door... not even me! It took two full weeks to get them evicted from the premises... just in time for a toad to set up residence in the yard!
This toad was also a cute little fella. He would let Nikki pick him up, and he'd just sit there in the palm of her hand. However, things took a turn for the worse this Saturday morning when my curious little dog decided to taste him! Apparently, toads seep poisonous toxins from their skin because it wasn't too long before Piper was foaming at the mouth! She had to be rushed to the little doggie emergency room (thanks Aunt Nikki)! Add that on top of the fact that we were dog sitting our friends' boxer puppy and looking after the dog next door. My dad always exhorts me to set limits on the aid I provide to animals in need(ie. don't even touch them!). Maybe I should heed his advice. Maybe.
1 comment:
I want to see pictures of the rest of your house!!! :)
Post a Comment